Tuesday, August 02, 2005

A Lesson in Prayer

A friend reminded me today of something I wrote many years ago...


A Lesson In Prayer

Lord,
in times of struggle
utter despair and hopelessness,
I turn to you
my God my anchor.
I confess that all I know
is that You have a plan for me
and that I do not know
what that plan is.
I turn to Your word for guidance
and You teach me to pray.
Our Father...
loving daddy who is more concerned with the details of my life
than I can ever be
...Who art in heaven...
who sees, perceives, and transcends all
so unlike me
limited to only what my feeble mind can see and understand
...Hallowed be thy name...
You are holy
Truly greater than any other god or desire
...Thy kingdom come...
My world is limited and depraved
Yours is eternal, everlasting, holy
...Thy will be done...
Your ways are higher than my ways
Give me what I need
not what I selfishly desire
...On earth...
Use me daily to show Yourself to others
...As in heaven...
So that they may spend eternity loving You
...Give us this day our daily bread...
Jehovah Jireh, my provider
You promise to supply all my needs
...And forgive us our trespasses...
Lord, I know I fall pitifully short
of what you intend for me
I am sorry
Please forgive me
Thank You for providing the way
...As we forgive those who trespass against us...
Others' words and actions can pierce so deeply
Hurting me
Hurting You
Help me to see them through Your eyes
Move me to pray for
not begrudge
those who offend me
...Lead us not into temptation...
Instill in me a desire
to seek only righteousness
Keep my heart from that which would lead me away from You
...But deliver us from evil...
In times when my vision is limited and my heart is hard,
enclose me in your protective arms
and keep me safe.
All that I am
I entrust to You
All I need
I seek from You
All I desire and hope to be
I receive from You
My Father
My provider
My God
Thank You.

--Jen Abbas
April 26, 1996

No comments: