Thursday, December 15, 2005

What Next?

So I wrote awhile back that WaterBrook reverted rights to Generation Ex back to me. Thanks to all who wrote me with feedback and kind words of support. The next step is simply making time to work on the new proposal so my agent can shop it around. I have a pretty good idea of where it could end up, but alas, I still have to do the hard work of preparing the materials. (Many applications to life in that statement).

One option we're exploring is pitching Generation Ex as a two book deal, meaning GE would be the first book with another related title to follow. I have several ideas based on material that didn't make the first book (My first draft was 225,000 words. Generation Ex was only 60,000 words.) and suggestions from readers.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on these options:

1. Generation Ex and the Quest for Love (or, Getting to I Do After Mom and Dad said I Don't)--focusing on the romance trigger, how to minimize the impact of parental divorce on your own romantic relationships, from dating to marriage.

2. Marrying Generation Ex: this suggestion came from my sister-in-law, who has shared with me the unique challenges someone from an intact home has in marrying into a family affected by divorce.

3. Generation Ex for Teens - When I speak, I briefly talk about the common coping mechanisms that children adopt when dealing with divorce. This book would expand on these ideas.

4. Generation Ex: A Parents Guide - Practical help for parents to minimize the long term effects of divorce on their family

5. Generation Ex Asks Why: answers to the questions most commonly posed by children of divorce, parents, counselors, friends and churches

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though I haven't read Generation Ex yet, I have to vote for Generation Ex Asks Why. The play on x and y is just too cool. :)

Jen @ de Jong Dream House said...

I appreciate the "yet." Good things come to those who drive their friends to Michigan.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I'm looking forward to reading it. Issues related to divorce are some of the most important things for us to address today.