Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Psalm for Valentine's Day

After far too many Valentine's Days alone, I am blessed beyond measure to receive the love of an amazing man this Valentine's Day. In the 14 years of being alone post-college (gulp!), however, Valentine's Day has been my opportunity to remember the crimson love of my Savior.

Psalm for Valentine’s Day

Lord, I thank You for the gift of love.
Your love created me in the beginning,
Forgave me of my past,
Sustains me in my present,
Delights in my future,
Cradles me in eternity.
Your life is the model of love.
Your Word is my guide.
When bitterness, resentment and anger are begging me to give in, You, O Lord, persuade me to try once again.

And now I will show You the most excellent way…
When I am tempted to act pious in order to shame others, You, O Lord, remind me to love one another.

If I speak with the tongues of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal…
When frustration begs me to give up on my present mission, You, O Lord remind me of Your Great Commission.

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing…
When I tempted to consider myself a martyr, You, O Lord, loving convinced me to submit even farther.

If I give all I possess to the poor, and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing…
Even when I forget what it means to love, You, O Lord, display grace from above.

Love is patient…
It puts Your timetable first.
It fulfills the other’s need before requesting its own desires.

Love is kind…
It is not manipulative.
It seeks to see through Your eyes

It does not envy…
Love rejoices in the blessings of others
Love is confident in the affections of others, even when others aren’t around to show it.

It does not boast…
Love realizes that boasting is an outward manifestation of pride.

It is not proud…
Love has an attitude that is other-focused, not self-centered.

It is not rude…
Love allows disagreement without distain.

It is not self-seeking…
Love looks out for the best interest of others, even when it risks hurt, even when it means letting go.

It is not easily angered…
Love has an inner peace that no trial can shake.

It keeps no record of wrong…
Love chooses to focus on what unites, rather than what divides.

Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices in Truth…
It looks for whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure or admirable, and defends it.

It always protects…
Love seeks the good in others, and preserves reputations under fire.

It always trusts…
Love looks at the heart, not the circumstance.

It always hopes…
Love chooses to see the best, and seeks to make better.

Always perseveres…
Love pushes through trials. It never gives up.
Love never considers anyone beyond the grasp of Grace because…

Love never fails.

Even when I am afraid,
Your love pushes me
Because
You have given me a spirit
Not of timidity
But a spirit of power
Discipline
And love.
Your love defines me
Because
Your love refines me
Because
Your love transformed me
Because
Your love saved me
Because
You are love.

Jen Abbas
February 14, 1994

Father, teach me, enable me, empower me to love as You love me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it... can't wait to hear it on July 29...