Friday, June 17, 2005

Book Notes: Fame & Celebrity

Overall, my reading preferences lean heavily to the non-fiction side. But in the summer, when I can't get away from home, I escape into fiction.

I just finished Fame the first in the followup series by Karen Kingsbury. I loved the Baxter family in the Redemption Series (Redemption, Remember, Return, Rejoice, Reunion). Karen does a fantastic job with character development. They have their quirks, they make mistakes, and they deal with the consequences in realistic ways. The Baxter family is real enough to be a model for those of us looking for better family of how a family can relate, warts and all. I was sad to finish the series.

But then came Fame. The new series (Firstborn) builds on one of the characters introduced in Reunion. The Baxters are still part of the story, though more so in the background. I think I may even like this series better because Karen predicts it will involve more storylines from singles who weren't raised in families like the Baxters.

The book I just started is totally unrelated, depite the titles. I first heard of Celebrity because it shares a publisher with my book. One of the main characters is recovering from traumatic brain injury (TBI) and so far I've been impressed with author Robert Elmer's ability to "get into the head" (pun intended) of a head-injured person. Best of all, it's been encouraging to see how far I've come!

No comments: