Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Let's Leave Rebounds to the Pistons

This is the kind of article that raises my ire. I quote:

It has been more than five months since the official announcement that Aniston, 36, and Pitt, 41, split after nearly five years of marriage, and we think it's time for Jen to move on.

Do we really have to question why the divorce rate for second marriages is 60% (and it only goes up from there)?

When "The Nation's Newspaper" perpetuates the myth that the best way to mend a broken heart is fall "in love" again, the media is (I hope, unconsciously) contributing to a whole lotta personal pain, not only the for the new couple, who will more than likely break up with a brand new set of emotional baggage that they'll take to the next relationship, but also for any children who become the undeserving recipients of the tension their parents couldn't resolve.

My heart hurts for Jennifer Aniston. Knowing that she is a child of divorce, I respect the great courage it took for her to enter marriage herself, especially with the intense scrutiny of an international spotlight. I'm glad that there has not any mention of a new romance for Jennifer right now. I hope that she is allowing herself the time to reflect and heal and learn...and who knows, maybe that ember of friendship she and Brad both affirm can be fanned back into a flame of reconciled love.

I hope that the media will be able to appreciate the grace and maturity she is demonstrating and consider promoting the wisdom of waiting.

No comments: